Established in 1882 in Lahore, Panjab University is one of the oldest Universities in India. The university has 75 teaching and research departments and 15 centres/chairs for teaching and research at the main campus located at Chandigarh. It has 188 affiliated colleges spread over Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh and Regional Centres at Muktsar, Ludhiana and Hoshiarpur.
University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS) was established in 2004-05 with the aim of providing quality education and training in the legal profession. Despite having recent beginnings and facing teething problems, UILS has become one of the premier institutions in the country for providing legal education.
The COVID-19 pandemic has rendered individuals and society extremely vulnerable in all respects. In this time of crisis, when the majority of competitions have been postponed or cancelled, we decided to take the initiative to ensure that the process of learning does not stop. After organising a number of thriving moot court competitions nation-wide, UILS, PU has decided to initiate National memorial drafting competition. The competition is based on the axiomatic truth and notion that in competitions, the oral arguments take away all the attention and the written memorial lose all their glory. With the national memorial drafting competition , the researchers and drafters get the much needed recognition.
The moot proposition is based upon the recent events of COVID and the contractual imbroglio led thereafter.
TIMELINE FOR THE COMPETITION
Release of the Proposition : 2nd June, 2020
Last Date for Registration : 10th June, 2020
Last Date for Online Payment : 12th June, 2020
Last Date to seek Clarifications : 15th June, 2020
Release of the Clarifications : 17th June, 2020
Last date for the Submission of the Memorial : 25th June, 2020
Declaration of Results: 5th July, 2020
Participation and Eligibility
• The Competition shall be open for the students currently pursuing their Bachelor’s Degree in law i.e. 3-Year LL.B. course or 5-Year LL.B. course from any recognized university/school in India.
• There is no restriction on the number of entries from any college or university.
2. Team Composition
• Individual participation as well as participation in a team of two i.e. coauthorship is allowed.
• The substitution of any Team Member is not allowed after the registration deadline except in extenuating circumstances and only with permission of the Organizer.
• The Team Cap for the Competition is 25 Teams.
• The participating teams can register themselves by sending the composition of their teams through the official Mooting society mail ID or through the official mail ID of their department to [email protected]
• Registration fees is to be paid only after the confirmation mail sent to the participants by the organizers.
• Registration Fees – Single Author- Rs 450 and for Co-Authorship- Rs 750 (Maximum 2 Authors only)
• The last date for registration is 10th June, 2020.
1. Submission of Memorial
a. Every team which has successfully registered for the competition is required to prepare two memorials:
• Memorial on behalf of the Petitioner
• Memorial on behalf of the Respondent
b. All teams are required to send soft copies of their memorials on/before 11:59 hrs on 25th June 2020 to [email protected] with the Subject “Memorials of Team Code-xyz”.
c. A penalty of 1 point per hour shall be imposed for any submission made post the deadline specified.
d. Memorials submitted 6 hours beyond the deadline specified shall not be evaluated.
e. If the memorial of two teams will be similar to each other then both the teams will be disqualified from the competition.
f. After the completion of the Competition, the Organisers reserve the right to use the memorials as they deem appropriate.
2. Format of Memorial
a. All soft copies of the Memorial submitted must be in Microsoft Word Document 2010/2013 format (.doc/.docx) and PDF Format (.pdf).
b. All pages of the Memorial must be of A4 size, with 1-inch margin on each side.
c. The font style and size of the text of all parts of the Memorial, cover page, header, footer and page numbers shall be Times New Roman, size 12, 1.5-line spacing.
d. All the parts of the memorial shall be justified aligned except cover page, header, footer & all headings.
e. The Footnotes shall be in Times New Roman, size 10, single line spacing, justified.
• Non-compliance with sub-rule (a) shall result in a penalty of 5 marks.
• Non-compliance with sub-rule (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall result in a penalty of 1 mark.
3. Content of Memorial
a. Every memorial shall contain following parts:
i. Cover Page (must contain team code, name of forum, jurisdiction, name of parties, submission of behalf of petitioner/respondent)
ii. Table of Contents
iii. Index of Authorities
iv. Statement of Jurisdiction
v. Statement of Facts
vi. Issued Raised
vii. Summary of Arguments
viii. Arguments Advanced
b. The section on Arguments Advanced shall not exceed 20 pages and the overall memorial shall not exceed 30 pages. Noncompliance shall result in a penalty of 5 marks for every additional page.
c. The citation format should follow the 19th edition of the Bluebook. Speaking footnotes and endnotes are not allowed. Non-compliance shall result in a penalty of 1 mark for each error.
4. Evaluation of memorials
a. The contents of memorials shall be evaluated out of 100 marks. The criteria of evaluation are:
i. Knowledge of Law and Facts 20 Marks
ii. Proper and Articulate Analysis 20 Marks
iii. Extent and Use of Research 20 Marks
iv. Clarity and Organisation 15 Marks
v. Grammar and Style 10 Marks
vi. Correct format and Citation 10 Marks
The participants securing the first three positions i.e. First, Second and Third shall be felicitated with cash prizes.
• First Position: Rs. 5,000/-
• Second Position: Rs. 3,500/-
• Third Position: Rs. 1,500/-
E-Certificates to all participants will be sent on their Respective Emails.
Moot Proposition : Click Here
Ms. Shruti Singla: 92551 33052 Ms. Shikha
Ms. Kajal Arora: 81682 65868 Ms. Nidhi
Ms. Komal Arora: 82889 55403 Ms. Shivani
Ms. Aastha Dhawan: 79735 98799 Mr. Deepak
Mr. Ritik Gupta: 99151 26369