DISTINCTION BETWEEN PRIVATE MEMBER’S BILL AND GOVERNMENT BILL

Issue: A BJP member in Rajya Sabha appeared to intemperance his plan of presenting a private member’s bill on the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) a code that would be related to all religious communities in private matters such as nuptial, divorce, legacy and adoption.

An MP who is not a minister is a private member. Both private member and minister take part in the law making process. Bills introduced by private members are referred to as Private member’s bill and those introduced by ministers are called Government bills.  A private member’s bill is unlike a government bill and is directed by an MP and this may extant private member’s bill to draw the government’s attention to issues which require legislative action.

While a government bill can be introduced and discussed on any day, a private member’s bill can only be introduced and discussed on Fridays. According to PRS legislative, no private member’s bill has been passed by Parliament since 1972. Only 14 private member’s bills have been passed since 1952 whereas six of them were passed in 1956. In the 14th Lok Sabha, over 300 private member’s bill were introduced and roughly 4 percent of the bills were discussed and the remaining 96 percent were left undiscussed. Government bills are backed by the Government and also reflect its legislative agenda the admissibility for private bill is decided by the chairman in the case of the Rajya Sabha and the speaker in the case of the Lok Sabha.

Reported By:

Sahil Gosavi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2- DAY WEBINAR SERIES ON “LEGAL AID WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO PIL” [FEE: 130/-] BY BEING LAWGICAL & JLSR : REGISTER NOW!!!

X
error: Content is protected !!